Adobe will host a financial analyst meeting with investors and financial analysts at its Adobe MAX conference, where Adobe’s executive team will unveil the company’s strategy to expand its leadership in the creative, digital documents and customer experience management categories to drive sustainable, long-term top and bottom line growth in 2020 and beyond. As part of its presentation, Adobe will provide data showing that its total addressable market is expected to reach approximately $128 billion by 2022.
“Our strategy to unleash creativity, accelerate document productivity and power digital businesses is driving our growth and represents a $128 billion opportunity in 2022,” said Shantanu Narayen, president and CEO, Adobe. “Our expanding universe of customers, strong global brand, market-leading products and continued innovation position us for a stellar 2020.”
Creative Cloud: Unleashing Creativity
At its core, Adobe’s Creative Cloud strategy is about unleashing creativity for all, which is driving an increase in Creative Cloud total addressable market for 2022 to approximately $31 billion across creative professionals, communicators and consumers. Creative Cloud’s growth will be driven by:
- Continuously releasing innovative new applications that accelerate productivity and collaboration for individuals, small businesses and enterprises across all surfaces;
- Expanding to new audiences, including consumers and communicators, with new products like Photoshop on iPad, Fresco and Photoshop Camera;
- Growing customer loyalty and retention by engaging its global creative community through live events like MAX as well as through its online properties, including Behance, which now boasts 18 million members; and
- Pushing category and technology boundaries by leveraging its Adobe Sensei AI and Machine Learning framework and embracing new emerging media types like 3D and augmented reality.
Adobe Document Cloud: Accelerating Document Productivity
Adobe continues to benefit from the paper-to-digital transformation. With trillions of PDFs created every year and approximately two billion Adobe mobile and reader users, the total addressable market for Adobe Document Cloud is expected to grow to $13 billion by 2022. Adobe is accelerating document productivity with a Document Cloud strategy focused on:
- Delivering the best PDF viewing experience everywhere by revolutionizing the mobile and online reader experience;
- Expanding Acrobat document capabilities—including editing, collaborating, scanning and signing—to help accelerate business productivity;
- Making PDF frictionless for mobile and web by providing users with simple, one-click experiences to access Adobe’s powerful PDF tools online; and
- Unleashing the PDF ecosystem to embed services through a rich set of APIs, enabling a new model of delivery and monetization.
Adobe Experience Cloud: Powering Digital Businesses
With every business, government and educational institution going through its own digital transformation, Adobe’s Customer Experience Management (CXM) opportunity continues to grow. The total addressable market for Adobe Experience Cloud is expected to increase to $84 billion by 2022, driven by increased demand for data and insights, content and personalization, commerce, customer journey management and advertising.
As Adobe continues to power digital businesses across all sectors, its Digital Experience strategy is focused on:
- Building on established relationships with Chief Marketing Officers and Chief Digital Officers to drive CXM adoption across the enterprise;
- Becoming mission critical to the Chief Information Officer with the Adobe Experience Platform, a purpose-built platform to unite customer data in real time to power digital businesses;
- Extending its offering and go-to-market from B2C to B2B and B2E as all customers now expect the same high-quality experience from companies;
- Building scale in the mid-market segment through its acquisitions of Magento and Marketo; and
- Evangelizing Adobe’s own Data-Driven Operating Model (DDOM) as a transformation playbook for its customers.
Adobe Raises Q4 Digital Media Net New ARR Target
Based on strong quarter-to-date performance, Adobe indicated it is raising its Q4 fiscal year 2019 Digital Media net new annualized recurring revenue (ARR) target to approximately $475 million, an increase of $25 million above its prior target. Adobe is also affirming it is on track to achieve Q4 revenue of $2.97 billion, and its Q4 earnings per share targets of approximately $1.68 on a GAAP-basis, and approximately $2.25 on a non-GAAP basis. The company indicated it expects to meet other financial metrics it targeted for the quarter.
Adobe Provides Preliminary FY2020 Financial Targets
At today’s financial analyst meeting, Adobe is providing preliminary growth targets for its fiscal year 2020, which are summarized in the table below.
Total Adobe revenue1
Digital Media segment revenue
~19 percent year-over-year growth
Digital Media annualized recurring revenue (ARR)
~$1.55 billion of net new ARR
Digital Experience segment revenue
~16 percent year-over-year growth
Digital Experience subscription revenue2
~18 percent year-over-year growth
Digital Experience subscription bookings3
>20 percent year-over-year growth
Earnings Per Share
Revenue targets were set based on Oct. 2019 foreign exchange (FX) rates, which for current planning purposes are assumed to be constant during fiscal year 2020
Includes revenue from SaaS, managed service and term offerings for Adobe Analytics Cloud, Adobe Marketing Cloud, and Adobe Experience Platform; all revenue for Adobe Advertising Cloud; and all technology revenue for Adobe Commerce Cloud
Includes annualized subscription value of SaaS, managed service and term offerings under contract for Adobe Experience Cloud and excludes Adobe Advertising Cloud
Adobe expects to report its Q4 fiscal year 2019 financial results on Dec. 12, 2019. A reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP earnings per share targets is provided later in this press release.